The Justice Centre for Constitutional Freedoms seeks a talented and mature professional to join our team. We require a full-time Paralegal to assist the Justice Centre’s Litigation Director and legal team with various research and document-related projects, as well as contributing to the Justice Centre’s mission of defending the constitutional freedoms of Canadians.
Must be well organized, have strong prioritization skills, have an eye for details and accuracy, plus have a proven track record of meeting and exceeding deadlines and timelines.
You will have a cooperative team spirit, a professional appearance and work attire, strong work ethic, initiative and ability to remain calm under pressure. This role requires above average English, interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills. A minimum of three to five years litigation support and paralegal experience required.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Preparing, drafting, and revising legal documents and letters independently with minimal supervision.
- Review and organize client production documents, scan documents, maintain databases of client contacts.
- Assist with preparation of legal documents.
- Assisting with trial preparation, examinations and briefs as required.
- Coordinating the flow of documents between clients and the Justice Centre.
- Working proactively and initiating follow up actions to expedite the flow of work in the practice group.
- Day to day management of files including communications with clients, various levels within the business unit, and various levels of Court, as directed by lawyer.
- Managing correspondence, booking, and scheduling appointments.
- Ability to respond to everyday tasks with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Maintain a positive rapport with legal team, staff, and clients.
- Other general duties as required.
Qualifications and Skills:
- 3 to 5 years of experience in a similar role.
- Post-secondary education in a recognized Legal Assistant or Paralegal Program
- Exceptional computer skills and attention to detail
- Superior knowledge of the Alberta Rules of Court and related statutes, and willingness and ability to research extra-provincial Rules of Court.
- Excellent organizational skills, with the ability to work well under pressure.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities with attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal and client service skills.
- Confident and dependable, with strong initiative and ability to work both independently and in a team-oriented atmosphere.
- An interest in freedom, free speech, and a free society as well as constitutional freedoms.
Jay Cameron, Litigation Director.
Please include a cover letter outlining your interest in the position and why you would be a good fit for the Justice Centre.